Job Title: Advocacy Officer
Job Duration: 1 year (renewable)
Reports to: Manager
Starting Date: ASAP
Collectif Arc-En-Ciel (CAEC), a non-profit NGO fight against homophobia and discrimination based on sexual orientation is looking for a motivated Advocacy Officer
Under the supervision of the Manager, you are responsible for the design, implementation and evaluation of advocacy and awareness strategies and initiatives for opinion leaders, the media, civil society organizations and the public.
Job Description :
- Analyse public policy on LGBT issues at the national level and in the Indian Ocean area.
- Collect and archive the information needed to identify obstacles and constraints to advocacy strategies.
- Develop, implement and monitor the CAEC’s advocacy strategy with the collaboration of Manager
- Coordinate advocacy actions by supporting the mobilization of institutional and political partners (preparation of appointments, drafting of situation and information notes, thematic files, etc.)
- Technical analysis and management of advocacy files / subjects (eg Article 250, etc.) or follow-up of certain interlocutors (eg law firm, international legal organization);
- Liaise with stakeholders, institutions, partners, and prospective partners to advocate for issues related to Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity.
- Co-manage with the communication officer and the Manager the media strategy for increased visibility and impact concerning projects, campaigns and advocacy events, where required – including writing articles and conduct seminars/workshops on issues relevant to the Association’s mission.
- Contribute to media monitoring, analyse media coverage and identify media opportunities.
- Facilitate partnerships to achieve strategic objectives.
- Network and identify new forums for expanding the advocacy strategy.
- Coordinate events related to the advocacy strategy.
- Follow-up on on-going advocacy cases.
- Engage diverse audiences in relevant advocacy and give interviews to media as and when required.
- Represent CAEC in local, national, and international governments as well as other non-governmental organizations as and when required.
- Extract & report on CAEC Key Performance Indicators and objectives on a monthly basis
- Support CAEC team as required in implementing any other programs
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Passionate about Human Rights and Justice.
- Understanding of rights and social justice pertaining to Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Gender Expression
- Ability to synthesize complex and sensitive material, record information accurately and appropriately in the form of minutes, write complex correspondence and internal memos.
- Relevant experience in activism
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal (English, French, Mauritian Creole)
- Excellent strategy/planning skills
- High level of personal initiative and resourcefulness.
- Keen attention to details with ability to track multiple projects at one time.
- Ability to prioritize on-going versus immediate needs appropriately.
- Strong ability to develop contacts and to work under pressure and independently.
- Excellent judgment, diplomacy, flexibility and patience.
- Genuine commitment to CAEC’s missions.
To apply for this position, please submit the following (applications not including all of the below will not be considered) by latest the 30/04/2018
1. A one page Cover Letter, detailing experience that is relevant to the position ; AND
2. A CV/resume and/or a Portfolio including relevant experience in activism
To the following address:
Collectif Arc En Ciel
89, Sukky Building
St Jean Road
Or By email: [email protected]
Please specify: « Avocacy Officer » in the subject line of your email or on the envelope.
👌 Any incomplete application will not be considered.
👌 The CAEC has an anti-discrimination recruitment policy. Only skills, experience and profile of candidates will be taken into account for the analysis of applications
The Management reserves the right not to appoint anyone following this advert